Policy for grants in support of conferences
The British Society for the Philosophy of Science gives small grants to support conferences relevant to research and education in the logic, the methods and the philosophy of science, as well as those of the various special sciences, including the social sciences. Up to £750 can be awarded as a contribution towards travel and subsistence costs for speakers. The Society favours open conferences. Normally, only those conferences taking place in the British Isles are eligible for funding. Letters of application should be sent to the Honorary Secretary of the Society (see below), and must set out the objectives of the conference and a detailed estimate of the costs. In publicity for conferences that are financially supported and in any publications arising from them, it is expected that the contribution of the Society will be acknowledged appropriately.
Conference organisers seeking financial support for meetings are asked to provide information to the Committee on the following points:
- The topic of the meeting
- Whether it is exclusively a philosophy of science meeting
- The type of meeting
- The planned dates (inclusive)
- Expected number of participants
- Number of speakers, and where they are from
- Estimated total budget (please itemise)
- Estimated subsistence costs per day per person
- Whether there will be a registration fee
- Whether the meeting will be open to all or invitation only (if the latter, please explain)
- Which other bodies are to be approached for support, and for how much.
- If the meeting is not based in the British Isles, please make clear how this project will help enhance philosophy of science in the British Isles.
Please bear in mind the following points:
- The usual limit is £750 sterling.
- Organizers of larger meetings are expected to make an effort to produce a volume, proceeds from whose publication would be used to help repay the grant.
- The BSPS Treasurer must receive, not more than three months after the meeting, a report of not more than one page. This should list the main speakers, their affiliations and the topics of their talks, report the number and status of the participants, and be accompanied by checked accounts.
- From Oct 2010 applicants requesting conference grants are required to be members of the BSPS.
The Honorary Secretary, to whom applications for conference grants should be sent, is:
Dr C Timpson
Oxford OX1 4AJ
Philosophy of Science Events
Philosophy on the Web
- British Logic Colloquium
- Centre for Philosophy of Natural and Social Science
- Division of Logic, Methodology & Philosophy of Science (DLMPS) of the International Union of History & Philosophy of Science (IUHPS)
More related websites